In case it’s of interest to people considering doing academic work on social capital, I presented in Brisbane on Wednesday a bird’s eye summary of social capital scholarship in Australia (PDF).
I ended up concluding that some themes seem pretty well covered already:
- Economics and social capital
- Health and social capital
- Education/schools and social capital
- Rural Australia and social capital
- Social capital theory
- Left-wing politics and social capital
By contrast, other themes are surprisingly under-researched, especially:
- Regional case studies
- Organisational case studies
- Indigenous social capital
I also made some observations about the big questions in the field, especially what I think are the hard/easy and over-researched/under-researched topics.